Get widget

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Road To a SWEET Timeline Thingy

Subheading: I may have too much time on my hands.

First, I stumbled across some pictures of really creative and artistic timeline covers and pictures online, of how people have found ways to manipulate Facebook’s new timeline and cover feature in really cool and interesting ways.

Here’s several examples: http://blog.mad4flash.com/2011/12/get-creative-with-new-facebook-timeline-cover-ideas/

Then, I started thinking about what I could do. One idea was to do a similar thing to a doodle shown in the site above. Take a page and doodle silly ideas and squiggles and names and randomness all over, and then have it simply be my picture in the regular part. Another idea I really liked, I thought of doing a picture of me with an ah-HA face, and my finger pointed up, and then having the cover photo be a lightbulb that was on, with a “Eureka!” or something next to it.

In the end, I went with my love of mustaches and randomness, and came up with the idea of a photo of a surprised looking person (originally it was going to be me with a big fake paper mustache, mostly because I love them), being scared of a razor in the cover photo at the top.

On my journey, I happened along this lego surprised face. At the time, I was only looking for a good example of a surprised/scared face, as I had also thought about drawing it on my fist with a little fake mustache. The idea was still really forming... But, once I saw the lego dude, I knew that had to be it. I love legos, and I can draw a mustache separately, and attach it to the lego guy!

he's soooo surprised (or scared) and Lego-y!


I found a couple random pictures of razors pointed in what I hoped would be the right general direction, and set to work, drawing mustaches (mustachii?) in different styles, colors, and sizes. What would work on tiny surprised lego man? 



It was then that I realized I needed to name tiny surprised lego man. “George” came to mind. But only because my niece names everything George, after the curious monkey, of course. The name needed some more work! Calvin? ZopittyBOPBOPBOP? Maybe Shawn? I do like Rider. Like, Rider Strong who played Shawn on Boys Meets World. LOVE that show. OK. Lego man’s name is officially Rider. Which, really, is kinda badass when teamed with an epic freehand mustache.

Back to the mustache dilemma. I had it narrowed down to 2: small and red, or comically overlarge? I sent a text to two friends that simply said “which looks better?” And then confused the hell out of them by sending the following two pictures out of the blue.



















They both agreed comically overlarge was better. I, too, was leaning in that direction. All that was left was to upload Rider and the razor. And personally, I like the results! I was thinking about adding a thought bubble to Rider’s head saying “My name is Rider! Don’t shave my precious ‘stache!” I’ll have to decide on that later.

You can see the finished product at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=2012400
Because apparently it isn’t /jyssicascott, like I had previously assumed. Weird!

UPDATE: I went in and added "Don't shave my precious 'stache!" in a thought bubble next to Rider's face. I tried to add a "My name is RIDER!" but it just wasn't working with spacing. Rider is currently more epic than ever!   

I would also like to go on record saying that while I understand that there are probably programs or apps or technological ways to have done this timeline cover pic thingy, I did not go that particular route. I accomplished this in the way I knew how. I physically drew out or printed out the pictures I wanted (drew the mustachii by hand, printed out picture of Rider), put the different things the way I wanted them, then took a picture with my cell phone, which uploads to FB directly from my phone, and then went into FB to move it around. I literally had to do the cover picture with the thought bubble like 5 times, uploading, placing and deleting it when the spacing or size wasn't right. You can only move cover pictures up and down, not side to side! Wtf, FB?

1 comment:

  1. haha cute!! grandfather?

    p.s

    hey...
    guess what..

    i... i had to drop out of school and didn't get to study... i don't have much education......

    since i'm not educated i should at least learn somekind of technique but i don't know how to do anything...

    since i can't do anything i dont have any job...

    my parents are ill... my contry needs money too, but becasue i'm a uneducated person who doesnt know how to do anything, i can't even get a job..........

    i have no hope....

    ReplyDelete