Get widget

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Passwords Are Hard.

I read somewhere recently that becoming an adult is basically like becoming a manager, when you weren’t sure you wanted a management position. I find this perfect and hilarious. Slowly, almost so slowly you don’t realize it’s happening, you expand your responsibilities and learn to take control of situations and your finances and your life.

Being an adult is so weird. You don’t learn so many things in college, like balancing your monthly budget, how to write a good resume, what you need in a job to be happy. How the ‘dream job’ doesn’t really exist, it’s more about a job where the good outweighs the bad. Such as being fulfilling, but it still has annoying paperwork!

Ohhhh, the paperwork of life. Insurance forms, tax forms, job forms, ahhh forms! Seriously, my life is basically paperwork and passwords. I have passwords to EVERYTHING. At work alone I have to have like 7 different passwords, some of which I'm required to change every 90 days. For my computer access, email, the insurance network online, the payroll/HR access, the internal database systems, the VPN access, the list goes on.

And non-work stuff like emails, bank accounts, Words With Friends, Pinterest, Linkedin, Reddit, GEEZ. My whole life is wrapped up in about 632754 different ways to have the same 2 basic passwords. Ugh.

They say technology is amazing, and for the most part I agree. But the passwords are insane! They say you should have different passwords for everything, and I actually agree that that is safest, but I can barely remember my grandma’s phone number without looking it up (I used to have dozens of phone numbers memorized), and now the world expects me to remember (because you aren’t allowed to write them down! That’s superduper unsecure!) all these different and unique passwords for every little thing in my life. Technology has ruined my memory. I used to know how to get everywhere (and now GPS remembers for me), and I used to remember phone numbers (thanks, contacts list!), and basic math (hi there, calculator!). Yet they expect me to just remember all these different codes and passwords to get into everything!

Life is hard. Remembering your passwords to every single website in the history of the internet is harder.

2 comments:

  1. For high performance VPN everyone should use Paid Version instead of free VPN tools like, Zenmate or Hulu. Now here i am using UKVPN to get best IP of other countries that's allow me to access everything which is blocked here for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is a work-specific one on a work computer, I have zero control over what they choose to use!

      Delete