Get widget

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Life Lessons at Almost 30

The older I get, the more I come to understand that when it comes to friends and family, it's quality that matters, not quantity.
And also that just because someone is family, doesn't mean they always have your best interest in mind. Friends are the family we choose. And I happen to be incredibly lucky that my family is also amazing.

The older I get, the more I have learned to enjoy being alone.

The more I've learned what love is, and that love multiplies, and doesn't diminish any amount given when you love more people.

The more I've learned that real friends are true and real no matter the time and distance.

The older I get, the more I learn not to live with regrets. Learn from the mistakes and the disappointments, and move forward a better person. Living in regrets is wasteful to your current life and happiness.

The older I get, the more I appreciate what I have.
I can't count how many times I've turned to Fiance and said "We are so lucky, we have such a great life and we have each other. Look how lucky we are!" And I know it sounds trite, but it's so true. We are both hard workers with great work ethic, we are invested in our careers. We both got a college education (just finished paying off my student loans!!!!!!), and we are (and have long been) fully self-supporting. We have a great life, one we've worked for, and we make sure to take some time and appreciate how far we've come and how lucky and happy we are.

The older I get, the better I understand that bad things happen to good people.
You can be the best person, the most pious, the most giving, the funniest, or the smartest, or the biggest donator of time and money, and inevitably bad things will happen anyway. You cannot control what happens to you, what you CAN control is how you react to it and move forward. You could resent life and be bitter about the sucky things, or you can accept them and figure out how to pick up, move on, and continue to live.

The more I fully understand the phrase "life isn't fair."

The more I appreciate my parents.
I was not spoiled, I earned my allowance in blood, sweat, and chores. I got a job at 16 when the allowance stopped. I was held accountable for everything: my grades, the people I hung out with, my job, my chores, and my attitude. Seeing people my age as parents and seeing sometimes the way they raise their special snowflake, I more fully understand how lucky I was to be taught the value of money, the value of a good education, the goodness that comes with working to EARN the thing and not be given the thing.
My parents were not my friends, they were my parents. Thanks, parents.

The older I get, the more I love staying home on Friday night.

The more I understand that I will never learn patience. At this point, I don't think that's a virtue I've been given.

The older I get, the more I enjoy getting older and going on new adventures.

The older I get, the more I appreciate my personal confidence and recognize what confidence in myself has done for me in so many different aspects of my life.

The more I want to do the things I always wanted. I want to write a book, I want to sing more, I want to learn a new language. And as an adult...I can choose to do any of those things.

The older I get, the more crotchety I get. Ugh, neighbors (in an apartment building). 'Nuff said.

I wonder what I'll learn next?

1 comment:

  1. As one of your parents, you are welcome. You have worked hard to mature, and have done so graciously. I am very proud of the woman you have become. I love you. MOM

    ReplyDelete