Get widget

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Keto Cinnamon-Sugar Cookies

Being on keto has been a really cool journey so far. I eased into it, doing low carb (50-70g per day) for a couple of weeks, while I was trying to get my snacking under control. I'd just quit smoking and even when it's low carb, it's still terrible to be snacking on stuff all day!

9 days ago, I went from low carb to keto, staying at (ok, around) 20g carbs per day, and I have never felt better. I honestly have more energy, and I am loving all the cool recipes I have both found and created.

This morning I made a very cool chocolate mug cake from Ruled.me, and it was delicious. I have only been doing low carb/keto for a couple of weeks, but I have always loved cooking. This was a nice sweeter treat, and was easy to make.

But I was looking into keto cookies. I like sweets, though not very often, and I wanted to see how I could make a keto friendly cookie with what I had at home. A lot of the recipes I found online had coconut four, psyllium husk, whey protein powder, and more stuff I don't own.

This recipe is something I invented this afternoon in my kitchen and has zero protein powder (because I don't own any), no psyllium husk (same reason, though I hear it's neat), and no egg. No egg because I wanted to see what I could do without the added calories, and also because basically everything I've eaten lately has eggs in it! I love eggs, but still.

So, this recipe comes out to 6 thin and decent-sized cookies! Each cookie individually has 1g net carbs, 3g protein, and about 68 calories. If you go nuts and binge on the whole batch, you still only get 6 grams of net carbs, which is not terrible! All the cookies I found were higher in carbs, calories, and had more stuff in them.

These cookies are not terribly sweet, but I like them, and you could easily make them sweeter, or heartier. I feel this is a good base recipe for other flavors. I did cinnamon sugar (truvia) on top, which added some sweetness, but if you want to add some fruit extract or other flavorings, this is a nice start, and you probably already own all the ingredients!


Start by throwing the cream cheese and mozzarella into a microwave safe bowl, and nuke it for about 12 seconds, just enough to soften the cream cheese and start melting the mozzarella. Mix that together.


Add all other ingredients to the batter, continuing to mix as you go. This is what my batter looked like. It was very moist, a bit grainy. You can add additional almond flour or sweetener at this point, to make the batter more stiff. If adding chopped nuts, dried fruit, chocolate powder, or other flavors, now is the time!

Save half the cinnamon and some of the sweetener off to the side.


I used parchment paper on a cookie sheet and made my fist-sized ball of batter into 6 small rounds on the cookie sheet. They were pretty wet.


I used the remaining cinnamon and granulated sweetener on top of the batter.


They spread out A LOT. Next time I make them, I may experiment with adding more almond flour and less tahini. They don't have an especially tahini-like flavor, and it is very wet. I wanted to use it for adding substance. Also, I recently made the tahini bread from this website, Forest and Fauna, and I really liked the texture and flavor. I think the almond and the tahini paste matches well, but again, is not super sweet.

Makes 6 servings. 1 serving is one cookie.
They are thin and yummy! I like the texture and the taste. They could be sweeter. I may try a chocolate version next, and halve the tahini. Or I might try adding an egg! You never know. I feel like this recipe is a base, a solid cookie base.

Ingredients:
-2 tbsp cream cheese. I used whipped just to see if it made them more airy, and also tried it with block Philadelphia cream cheese. They came out the same.
-1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-1 oz brie cheese
-1 tbsp almond flour
-1 tbsp tahini
-1/2 tbsp heavy cream
-1/2 tsp Truvia (or any granulated sugar substitute) Do this to your taste, 1/2 tsp may not be sweet enough for you! (Save some for the end)
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp vanilla
-1/2 cinnamon (save half for end)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Put the cream cheese and shredded mozzarella in a bowl and microwave it for 10-12 seconds, just enough to soften the cream cheese and start melting the mozzarella. Mix that together.
2. Add all other ingredients. Remove the skin from the brie so it can be mixed. Add each ingredient and mix as you go. If it feels too wet or greasy to the touch, add additional flour. Be light on the sweetener and taste the batter so you sweeten as much as you want. I know some sugar substitutes are sweeter than others.
3. On a lightly greased cookie sheet or parchment paper, make the batter into 6 or so balls.
4. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes for thin, softer cookies, and 10 minutes for crispy cookies. Check at 1 minute intervals after 8 minutes, they cook super fast because of how thin they are!
5. Remove and let cool.

They are about 1.2g net carbs per cookie, when made into 6.

Nutritional Info:
Nutritional breakdown via MyFitnessPal.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment