Get widget

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pretty Sure I've Decided To Become A Scarf-Wearer

I have fallen victim to this new craze, Pinterest. Or, maybe it’s not so new. Honestly, I am super behind the times, usually. I’m not “trendy,” I didn’t get a smartphone until way after everyone I knew had one (and now I can’t imagine living without Sudoku at my fingertips at all times, especially on the train), I just finally started actively using Twitter (and loving it, 5 years after everyone else), I don’t know how to do much on computers, except for Googling, Word, Facebook, and rebooting if I have any problems whatsoever, and when my computer programmer bf starts talking about codes, I am supportive and interested, but it’s all Greek to me!

That being said, I have just found Pinterest, the new love of my life. It's like the mother-lode of craft projects. I have always been crafty. I can cook, I can knit and make bracelets and necklaces and lanyards. I can sew, whether it’s hemming pants, sewing on a quick button, or actually taking 2 or 3 different shirts and making a whole new one. I still do the simplistic turning-jeans-into-a-skirt thing. I like arts and crafts, ok?

I don’t often wear my creations, and I mostly give them away. Or I relegate my crafts to a shelf. I don’t usually have a nostalgic attachment to them. I just enjoy making things. I love putting things together. Even Ikea furniture! The process of building and creating, calms me. Man, I totally should have been a carpenter. LIKE JESUS. I could totally be a big, Jew-y carpenter!

Anyway, my style hasn’t changed much since high school. I wore ratty jeans, t-shirts with pithy sayings, and a sweatshirt around the waist. This exact same was true throughout college and the first few years after that, where my first “real” job was uber-casual, and my daily uniform included flip-flops. Once I moved to NY, I thought about changing, but I was too lazy. And broke. And I hate shopping, so being trendy is totally out. I’m not a fan of florals all over the place. I evolved from witty t-shirts to a workday standard of dark-wash jeans and a solid color top with a colorful tank top underneath.

Thanks to Pinterest, my love, I am now into scarves. There’s this whole part of Pinterest with clothes ideas and stuff, and as I’m looking through it, I realize 2 things: 1. Almost every single one I like has a solid color top, a cardigan, and a colorful lightweight scarf, and 2. I apparently REALLY, REALLY love grey clothing. 98% of what I liked included a grey shirt or sweater.

But Pinterest, my adored companion, also has an arts and crafts section, and it is magical! In there, people post all kinds of stuff they made, they want to make, designs for stuff, and how-to’s. After realizing that I now want to wear scarves, I almost immediately see a cool design for how to make a drapey decorative scarf out of a t-shirt. I went home that night, and I made it!


source: thesauerpatchkids.blogspot.com


 


Looks the same, right??








The next day, I swung by target on my way home and bought one teal and one pink scarf. And then saw another, even easier design to make a half-braided scarf on Pinterest (that saucy minx!), which I made THAT night our of one of my bf’s old t-shirts. From 0 scarves to 4 in 24 hours. 





Pic refuses to rotate, the jerk. But I'm quite happy with the scarf.



And now, to scarf myself. Solid t shirt, dark wash jeans, cute jacket I already owned and never wore, teal scarf. I AM SO FASHION-Y AND WORK APPROPRIATE RIGHT NOW. And my gym sneakers. They may detract from the look, but I go to the gym after work every day, so tough cookies.





 
Oh, Pinterest, I love you so, my sweet meshugganuh!

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure where you're getting your information, but good topic.

    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding
    more. Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for
    this info for my mission.

    Also visit my website - couture Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Info from Pinterest, as noted in the post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete