Get widget

Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

So, I recently told everyone that I was tired of the rightleaning politicians that base things on religion and not fact. I don't care what you believe, I have no desire to change your mind, or convince you one way or the other. 

What does bother me is when people use and twist religion to suit their needs, their prejudices, and fuel their hate. Oh, God hates gays? Well, the Bible also clearly states that marriage is only valid if the woman is a virgin, that divorce is prohibited, that stoning is an acceptable form of punishment, as is execution (for a non-virginal bride and other crimes), premarital sex is a sin, it prohibits tattoos, and apparently Leviticus has a passage about forbidding people from playing with the skin of a pig. The Bible also tells the story of Adam and Eve, who had children, mated with their children, who mated with each other and their own children, and so on, to create the population. So, according to the Bible, incest is probably ok, too. There's also a virgin birth mentioned in there. If a married woman stepped up and said she was a pregnant virgin now, would anyone believe her? Even though, technically, there is a precedent for this sort of thing?

Personally, I think of religion as a moral code. A basic ideal of right and wrong, and I also believe that we have to live as good people in order to be closer to God. You can't pick and choose what you want to be righteous about, and then condemn others for not agreeing with your nitpicking. That makes you judgmental and the Bible clearly says to judge not, shall ye be judged. But, oh, you want to tell everyone how God hates whole groups of people? How do you know, did you ask?

Either way, a much more fun, rhyming, honorary doctor is a wonderful person to follow and believe in! And so, I present to you, the new religion I am founding, Seussology. We follow the teachings of Dr. Seuss, and we pray to the Magical Cat in the Sky. Here, check out this awesome collection of Dr. Seuss quotes, in which he reminds us to smile, to be good people, to go places, and to dream big. Worship him! All hail Dr. Seuss!

Thanks to Sylvia Martinez over athttp://www.mamiverse.com/30-dr-seuss-quotes-to-live-by-4920/
Dr. Seuss said “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and who matter don’t mind.” And I definitely agree. He was a man who pushed kids to have their own voice, to use their imaginations every day, and to dream big, knowing you can be anything you want to be. 

I saw this quote on Facebook, as a response to someone asking why another person wouldn't believe in God. “Because I find the idea of worshiping an unelected, unaccountable celestial dictator with a history of genocide morally appalling.” [Will add name when I can find it on FB]

I may not agree with what he believes, as I am Jewish, myself, but I can absolutely, 100% see where he is coming from.

So, hey. If you have to believe in something, believe in Dr. Seuss! His real name is Theador Seuss Geisel, and went by Ted. 


MIND BLOWING FACT:
Seuss is actually pronounced as "Zoice" and not "Soose." According to his website Seussville.com.
I'm not changing! I will continue saying "Soose!"

No comments:

Post a Comment