Get widget

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Part-Time Superheroes

I am part Dracula, in that I am sensitive to sunlight and crosses. I am part werewolf, like Lupin, in that once a month I am a completely different person. I am partially a superhero, in that I can time travel, but only to the present. I can also fly, but only for a few seconds at a time. 

That was my random Facebook status yesterday. I'm not sure what made me think of it, only that it was suddenly in my head.

However, it's a nice little segue into telling you about a very interesting train of thought I recently had. I spent a good amount of time pondering this. And I can tell you, there may be a ton more productive ways to waste half an hour, but no one can tell me that this isn’t an interesting idea! Also, I like pondering. And meandering. And thinkin’ ‘bout stuff. But trust me, you are not pondering what I’m pondering, Pinky.

What if there were seasonal, or part-time superpowers? Like, what if there were regular people, who exhibited superpowers, but at limited times. Perhaps in specific conditions (i.e. Bruce Banner becomes Hulk only when he is angry), or at certain times or seasons?

Think of it this way. It wouldn’t be a ‘curse’ or deformity, like Princess Fiona turning into an ogre every nightfall in Shrek. No, more like a regular girl who has a normal full-time job, but happens to have superstrength every day from noon to 5 pm.

A guy who can fly, but only at night.

Nothing like the stereotypical myths of werewolves and vampires, who can do certain things at certain times (vamps traditionally can’t be in the sun, and werewolves of course, change at the full moon). This is more like everyday people, who can fight bad guys and be heroes and have supernatural powers, but there are limitations.

Here is the conundrum:
Would a person come to resent their power because of it’s limitations, or would they utilize what they had to save as many people as possible? How did the person figure out that they had this power, and of it’s restrictions?

It could be any superpower at all!

--Superstrength-from 12-5pm daily.
--Flying-but only at night.
--X-ray vision-but it only works on inanimate objects.
--Invisibility-only in the dark (not just nighttime, any darkness).
--Laser vision-only in the winter.
--Stopping time-but only during AM hours.
--Shape shifting-but only into adorable, and not menacing or particularly deadly animals. (“You are one adorable kitty--OH GOD, KITTY WHY?! YOU BIT OFF MY WHOLE FINGER!”)
--Teleportation-but only to specific places.
--The power to create and throw fireballs-but only during the day, when you can use the sun’s energy to make the fireballs. You wouldn’t be able to make and store the fireballs. You’d create one and immediately throw it.

It opens up a world of possibilities. The ultimate “part-time hero.”

Think of the stories and comics this could spawn. The genre would open up. Instead of having an obviously recognizable Clark Kent who simply removes his glasses, puts his underwear on the outside, and adds a death-cape, you have an everyman. The guy who works in the office next to you; a college girl who studies medicine and uses her time-stopping ability to study in the mornings, in addition to using it in whatever way she catches criminals in her off time; the fireman who can be invisible at night to try to catch arsonists.
I loved Edna in The Incredibles!
I imagine a relatable character, who learns of the power they possess, and basically by trial and error, learns of the restrictions it has. I could also see this as being terrible. The guy learns he can fly, but doesn’t yet know that he can only fly at night, and either jumps off a building during the day, assuming he’ll fly out, or maybe is still flying from his night missions when the sun comes up. 

So, to illustrate this point, I actually drew a 3-panel comic that I decided to call "Suddenly Power." I would apologize for my lack of drawing ability, except I think they came out pretty awesome! I couldn't take one picture where all 3 panels were legible, so I ended up with 3, not-quite-lined up pictures. Oops! Oh well, enjoy my semi-artistic renderings.
I drew this comic.
BAM! Flying.
Not a completely terrible sunrise drawing!
Click on any of them for a larger view.

How would the people deal with their powers? Would everyone know about the sometimes-superpowered? Or is it still a secret identity? Does EVERYONE have some type of limited power, or is it just a few, and why? Is it from birth that the powers are evident, and they can learn over time, or do they just suddenly appear around puberty or adulthood or some arbitrary number, like 25? 

To be fair, at 25, the only exciting things are that you can now rent a car, and your car insurance premiums go down. Not exactly party city up in 25. On the other hand, I wouldn’t want to wait until I was 25, and possibly already settled in a career, before I got struck by cool-as-heck powers. I might not have as much time to devote to honing or controlling my powers, at that point. At 13, I’d still have some non-working years to figure it all out.

Speaking of superheroes, I was Quailman for Halloween, from the 90’s cartoon Doug. Anyone in their 20s should either know exactly what I am talking about, or is the worst 90’s kid ever.
I am Quailman! Fear my Quail-Eye, criminals of NY!

No comments:

Post a Comment