Get widget

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Egg Salad & Turkey Bacon Lettuce Tacos

I just like thinking of them as tacos. I know some people call them lettuce WRAPS, but honestly, thinking of them as tacos is 1) more fun and 2) gives me a lot more ideas of things to put in them!

I used a baby romaine, a pretty crunchy but tasteless lettuce. If you like something crisper, go with a kale, or if you like something more bitter, grab some escarole. Basically any lettuce will do!

You don't see it underneath, but I tossed a couple of leaves of fresh, raw spinach under the egg salad for some added crunch and greens. Spinach has basically no calories and a bit of fiber.

My husband has a healthy appetite and we each had 2 lettuce tacos and he was comfortably full and happy. Neither of us felt stuffed, but we did feel satisfied!







Egg Salad & Turkey Bacon Lettuce Tacos
**This whole thing took me about 15 minutes, start to finish!
1 dozen eggs makes approximately 6 servings, (12 tacos).
Ingredients:
-12 eggs
-5-6 slices of turkey bacon (use any kind of bacon you want, but it will change nutritional info. I used Oscar Meyer)
-4 tbsp mayo (I used Hellman's Light)
-2 tsp dijon mustard (I used grey poupon)
-1 tsp lemon juice (Add more to taste)
-Salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder
-Lettuce of choice (I used a baby romaine)

Instructions:
-Hardboil all 12 eggs. I did approximately 10 minutes from cold water to removal. They were not super hard boiled, which I like.
-While eggs are on the stove, put 5-6 slices of turkey bacon in between 2 paper towels and microwave them for 2-3 minutes. (I did 2 minutes on high, and I got crispy edges and rubbery middles, which I love.) Longer times for crispier bacon. You can also cook it on the stove, this is just the least-dishes option. 
-Cut up bacon into smaller bits.
-Peel all 12 eggs and put into a medium sized bowl.
-Add 4 tbsp mayo, 2 tsp mustard, 1tsp lemon juice. I used a potato masher for the initial mash, then left it chunky and used a fork for mixing everything in.
-Spices to taste. I liked a good amount of pepper and garlic powder in this. It's creamy but not TOO creamy.
-Use fork to scoop egg salad on top the lettuce leaves, top with turkey bacon, and enjoy!
Variation options: 
-For those who like crunch, relish or celery would be great, or raw bell peppers and a small amount of raw onion.
-Or make it brighter and use a little lemon, lime or orange zest in the egg salad.
-I also added a couple leaves of fresh raw spinach to my lettuce tacos before adding the egg salad. I just like spinach, and it really doesnt change the nutritional info. More greenery!

Nutritional Information for 1 serving is:
Serving size is about 1/2 a cup of egg salad, which is 2 good sized lettuce tacos:

210 calories (for BOTH!)
1.2g sugar
1.67g carbs
3 g protein
Make 2 of these.


NOM NOM NOM

No comments:

Post a Comment