Get widget

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Uniquely Normal

Why do people say stuff about being normal? Like, “Why can’t our family be normal?” and “Normal boyfriends don’t DO THAT.”

Why is “normal” something to strive for? I am weird, and strange and sometimes incomprehensible, definitely irrepressible, overly energetic, and I come from a family that puts the FUN in dysfunctional. I mean, why the hell would I give all that up? It's fun.

I love myself, my life, my family, and my completely weird boyfriend, too. He tries to hide it. When people first meet him, they think he’s pretty normal, and likely wonder how he ended up with weird ol’ me. But in truth, he is as bizarre as the rest of us, and funny, too! He just hides it better than others. I don't even bother trying to hide it. Take me as I am, world!

And what is “normal” anyway?

Dictionary.com says:
nor-mal
Adjective: Conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
Noun: The usual, average, or typical state or condition.

Yeah, because that sounds like a fun way to live your life and experience adventure and excitement and emotions and be happy with who you are as an individual.

Take it from me. Whatever you think of as "normal" isn't even real! The ideal you think of as “normal” is simply a social construct of the present society, and that changes with each generation. What I, a 26 year old, may think of as normal, a 16 year old would think was something completely different, as would a 36 year old. By the same token, what I think of as normal now may be something completely different a few years down the line.

But what’s so great about it? Why do so many people think “If only my family/friends/job/life were normal, everything would be so much better!”

No, it wouldn’t.

Come on. Normal is overrated and in a large extent, doesn’t actually exist. Because what you think of as typical or usual will be completely different than what your cousin, or best friend, or sister may think of.

That’s it! Normal DOESN’T EXIST. There is no such thing as the “typical person” or “usual life experience.” Life, your life, is what you make it. Be yourself, be proud of the quirks that make you different, because if everyone were the same, we would be incredibly, unnaturally, wholly boring.

You’re unique! Just like everyone else in the world. :)

Here is a poster demonstrating that.





















And here is a poster to remind everyone that just because you ARE unique, still doesn't mean you are all that and a bag of cheddar and sour cream chips, mmmkay?

No comments:

Post a Comment