Get widget

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Skyentists and Internauts.

I saw something online once that said “Someone really missed the boat, when not naming ‘astronauts’ skyentists."

That. Is. AMAZING. I wish anything in my life were even half as rad as the word “SKYENTIST.”

When I was younger, I wanted to be an astrophysicist. Nowadays, I’m lucky I can spell it without red squiggles appearing under it. I did, though. I have always been fascinated by space and astronomy and the search for life on other planets. I am still intrigued by it. If I thought I could pass the physical exam (I can’t), I would have loved to be an astronaut. And now, I only wish I could work for NASA. I even went to Space Camp in the 7th grade!

I have a cousin who works for NASA in Houston. I am jealous of his job with many of the breaths that come from my body. Not ALL of the breaths I have. I mean, he’s still a boy. And remember, one of the laws of the universe is that Girls Rule, Boys Drool. Duh.

This may seem off topic, but it isn’t: The French word for “an internet user” is “un internaute.” INTERNAUT. I am a French astronaut of the interwebz! Fear me and my floaty astronaut online powers!

The internet is a magical, magical place. When I was a kid, I was fascinated by the Encyclopedia. We had a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica. Also, I read the Encyclopedia Brown children’s books (and so started my lifelong enjoyment of reading about people solving mysteries and crimes. Oh, Sherlock. I love you in all your different forms. Though, the BBC version is currently the top of my list. WILL THERE EVER BE A 3RD SERIES?).

So, I thought these huge leather bound encyclopedias were awesome. Filled with much of the knowledge in the known universe. I used it for school reports and looking up interesting tidbits about things from Alaska to Zionism.

This lasted until Encarta.

Which lasted until Google.

Google estimates that the Internet today contains about 5 million terabytes of data (1TB = 1,000GB), and claims it has only indexed a paltry 0.04% of it all (#9 on this list, which was, unfortunately, written in 2010, so possibly a bit off on the numbers at this point). Can you believe that? POINT ZERO FOUR PERCENT of the entire internet is indexed and searchable!

It really is amazing the sheer amount of information we have at our fingertips at any given time. Of course, I use it mostly for Facebook and cute fluffy baby animal pictures.
BABY PENGUINS.
The point here is that I have always loved space. I wish I was a skyentist! But perhaps I can console myself with the knowledge that at least I am an internaut. 

And now, I present to you: Adventures of The Internaut! It's a little comic I just drew!! Enjoy :)

Our intrepid Internaut is just hanging around, chillin' in space.
He comes upon a door.
Adventurers always open mysterious doors.

He is sucked into the Internet!

He searches and friends and plays. And explores!















Suddenly, he is ripped back out!
His mom is calling him down to dinner!




Our intrepid explorer is back out in space.



















Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment